Tuesday, May 13, 2008

New to blogging...and competing




















I 'blog' on a bodybuilding website and once in awhile on MySpace. But since I'd like to keep my family and friends up-to-date on what is going on, I thought a more accessible blog would be a good thing. I know my family worried about me this last go around for the show I did in April because I lost so much weight drastically. I know they were worried that I was being unhealthy. So I think this is a good way for them to follow along to see that I'm not doing anything to myself that is hurting me.

I guess I should introduce myself. My name is Julia Wold. I reside in Madison, WI. I'm 30 years old, about 5'9ish and weigh in 'around' 150. I say 'around' because for people who compete in bodybuilding, figure, and fitness, we have an off-season weight and an in-season weight. So, my off-season weight is somewhere around 150 and my in-season weight is 140.

I just started competing in Figure Competitions. I did my first contest in 7 years on April 26, 2008 at the 2008 Wisconsin Natural Bodybuilding and Figure Championships at Monona Grove High School in Madison, WI. It is an INBF event. The overall winners in each category receive their WNBF Pro-cards. I competed in the Women's Tall Figure Class. I placed 3rd out of 6 girls. There was some stiff competition, let me tell you.

Preparing for this first show was extremely difficult as I had let myself cap out at 173 on December 1, 2007. I first decided to lose weight because my boyfriend of 2 years, Jon, and I were going to Key West for a wedding. When we left for Key West on January 31, 2008, I was down to about 163. After we got back, I started contemplating doing the contest as I had received the registration flyer in the mail. (I was still getting contest flyers from my days as a personal trainer.) On March 7 I made the decision to compete. I sent in my registration, ordered my posing suit and shoes, and the rest is history. But I had to diet down a lot harder than many of the gals did (not to discredit any of their hard work) because I was holding a lot more fat and body weight.

Jon did a fabulous job of putting up with my crankiness, mood swings, food cravings, etc. through this whole process. He literally should be considered for saint hood after it all. Not only that, he had to deal with my food binging afterwards when I got edema because I ate too much and was retaining water and when I started feeling sorry for myself when I started putting on weight (which was bound to happen). He took it like a champ when I told him I would compete again in October of this year.

I plan on competing in 2 shows in October of this year. It all depends on when the 2008 Midwest Natural Bodybuilding and Figure Championships fall. It's basically the same show I just competed in. When I find out the exact date of that show, I can than pick another show. I would like to pick one that is a NPC show to see how I fair. It will be interesting to see the differences in the body types the judges are looking for.

Well, I think that is all I will blog for my first entry. Now that you know a little bit about me, stay tuned for more on my contest prep over the next 5 1/2 months.

No comments: